Thursday, February 17, 2011

Writer's Block

I can't tell you how many times a week I will think to myself... "This would make a good blog post." Do I ever remember said incident when I sit down to write? Nope. When I do sit down and think about what sort of updates I should give my friends and family who read this, I'm at a loss. Whether that's because Lucy changes so gradually that I have no momentous event to point to, or because she has changed so much in the past month that I don't know where to start, I don't know.

I've thought about sharing some of what I'm feeling as a new mom... but these emotions change so rapidly, I can hardly pinpoint what I'm feeling before something else comes up. In the past 24 hours alone, I have laughed out loud at her discovery of squealing, cried in frustration because she would not stop crying, beamed proudly as we introduced her to Jacob's coworkers for the first time, felt immense relief when Jacob offered to take her to give me just 5 minutes of me-time, and enjoyed cuddling with my precious bundle. Extrapolate that out to a week, and one can see why it's hard to pick what to write about. ;)


I've also considered giving some updates on Lucy's "firsts." I can't seem to get a post like this off the ground, though, because it always ends up as a list, which is boring. But, in the interest of clearing this apparent writer's  block, you'll forgive me if I just go ahead and give you the list, clearing the slate in my mind and letting me get re-inspired sometime down the road. :) So, here goes... In the past month, Lucy has giggled, stopped using the swaddling blanket at night, finally accepted the bottle without a fuss, started intentionally reaching for toys, learned how to growl (see video) and squeal, and now fully supports her own weight while "standing" (balance is still a long ways off). Oh, and at her most recently doctor's appointment (her four month check up), she measured 26.5" (95th percentile) and 14 lbs, 11 oz (60th percentile). There. That's out of the way.

All in all, I love being a a stay-at-home mom. I love going to Costco in the middle of the day and starting dinner before 5:30 at night. I love not missing any of the tiny steps of Lucy's development and getting to read her a story at 11:00 in the morning. I have a rich and blessed life, ups and downs included, and am so grateful for the big and little things that being a stay-at-home mom allows me to do. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment