Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Goodbyes

Today we attended the memorial service for Jacob's Uncle Russell. Russell was a Downs Syndrome person, and passed away last Saturday from complications of cancer. While I didn't have the chance to know Russell for many years, I appreciated the chance to interact with him on the occasions that I did. He was especially excited about the coming baby, and remembered that the due date was very close to his birthday. I'm saddened that he won't get the chance to meet our little one on this earth.

The memorial service was touching, and a lovely tribute to Russell's life. The things that stood out about Russell were his infectious smile, utter enthusiasm for life, love of others, and love of God and His Word. I pray that, though our baby will not get to meet Uncle Russell in this life, we will nevertheless pass on a strong appreciation of the characteristics that he displayed that were so admirable. It will be our task to tell stories and pass on this piece of our daughter's rich heritage to her. May she grow in the love of others and our Lord, walking in the path that Uncle Russell has walked before her.

No comments:

Post a Comment