Thursday, May 12, 2011

From Picnics to Pitching a Fit

Yesterday was a study in opposites in the life of this stay at home mom.

Lunch time looked like this...


Lucy and I a lovely picnic in the backyard. The sun was shining, Lucy was happy as a lark, and everything was wonderful. I really enjoyed just sitting outside together enjoying the beautiful weather. Lucy discovered that grass is fun because it crinkles, and that she can pick up a drinking glass (even a heavy glass one) and clink her one little tooth against it. Such a fun day of discovery. :)

And then...

Lucy decided that the late afternoon nap was entirely out of the question, and the evening looked something like this...


For three hours, I tried everything I could think of to help her go to sleep. Judging by the excessive eye-rubbing and yawning, I knew she was tired. But she was in complete denial. So she screamed. A lot. She screamed when I swaddled her and gave her the pacifier. And when I un-swaddled her and gave her a doll. And after I changed her diaper. And after I fed her. And after I gave her Tylenol (and it had time to kick in). And when I laid her on her back. Or her tummy. She screamed when I left the room, and when I stayed by her crib making soothing noises. She screamed when it was quiet, and when the lullabies were playing.

I started dinner about an hour after first trying to put her down, thinking that Jacob would be home soon and could take over while I cooked.

Turns out, Jacob was stuck at work in a meeting that went almost three hours past it's scheduled end time. So no Jacob. And dinner was on the stove, threatening to burn. And Lucy was still screaming.

Last night, I discovered that the Ergo carrier is good not only for hiking, but for carrying your inconsolable child while cooking. I know, I know. I'm not going to get Mom of the Year for juggling hot pans while wearing my baby. But it stopped the screaming. So I did it.

Joelle came over for dinner last night, and thankfully arrived just as I was getting to the end of my rope, and pitched in with Lucy. Jacob eventually made it home, too, and despite his draining day at the office, immediately asked what he could do to help. In response to which, of course, I handed him Lucy.

Whew. What a day of opposites! At lunch time, I was basking in the wonder of my "job" including a spontaneous picnic with my beautiful baby girl. And by the evening, I was struggling with feeling trapped, absolutely baffled by how to make the crying GO AWAY.

I don't think I realized what an adventure this mom thing would be. :)

2 comments:

  1. What a great snippet into the reality of being a full-time mommy. I often have many of these moments throughout the day, and within minutes of each other (not hours). Being a mom is a great lesson in control, patience, creativity, problem-solving and multi-tasking, and you just proved it! You deserved a major high-five after that day!

    ReplyDelete