Thursday, April 5, 2012

What are you hoping for?

I'm counting down the days to April 11th... that's the day of our ultrasound for Pip (did I mention we've designated Baby #2 as Pip? It's shorter than "baby #2"... and cuter). And yes, we plan to find out the gender (always providing that Pip cooperates and all that). I'm NOT a patient person, and I don't relish the anticipation of the surprise. :)

I suppose it's something every pregnant mom has to answer, but I cannot count the number of times I have been asked "What are you hoping for, a boy or a girl?" I know it's just a conversation maker, but I've always been a little hesitant about this question. I'm trying very hard not to hope one way or the other. I want to be genuinely happy with either answer, though I won't have the exact same response regardless of gender. :)

If Pip is girl, I think I might feel more confident because girls are familiar territory. Not only have we forged some of this ground with Lucy, I grew up with just one sister... I don't know anything about little boys. And I would be happy to get to re-use many of the clothes and other girl-specific baby items we already own. So, my practical side (that doesn't like the unknown) would be thrilled if Pip is girl. Amanda and I also had such a special sister relationship growing up, that it would be fun to see Lucy have a little sister to be her best friend, too.

If Pip is a boy, I think there will be some feelings of excitement about rising to meet a challenge. While I don't necessarily relish the unknown, I love the process of discovery of new things. I will likely read every book I can find (I hear Dobson's Bringing Up Boys is excellent) and seek advice from those who have walked this road (successfully) ahead of me. I know Jacob would be very excited to have son, and I would love to watch him to dad things with his boy. And while the sister relationship that I had growing up was wonderful, I have been assured by many that a brother and sister can have a unique and close relationship, too (I just have to take this on faith... since I haven't lived it!).

To those who ask, not if I have a preference, but if I have a gut feeling about which it will be... the answer is, I'm feeling boy. :) I've caught myself calling Pip "him" a couple of times unintentionally. My in-laws are convinced Pip is a boy, and Aunt Jackie is already calling Pip "my nephew." :) We'll see if we're right if in just six days!

So, all things considered, I will be genuinely happy with either result, though for different reasons. :) Either way, I'm excited to find out Pip's gender, and even more excited to meet the little bugger in just five more months!


1 comment:

  1. I love this topic!! When I was pregnant and I told people I was going to find out the gender, most of the time, their response was "then it won't be a surprise!" I find that response very amusing because no matter when you find out, it's a surprise! One surprise is just earlier than the other. You are such an amazing writer! I love reading your blogs. Keep 'em coming! Just remember to relax every once in a while too... :)

    ReplyDelete