So apparently I haven't written a post since November. Funny how the blogging dropped off soon after having a second child. I haven't been super excited about writing this post, especially as my first post back... but here it is anyway.
Patrick is getting a helmet. While this isn't a huge deal, I did want to write about it briefly to (hopefully) avoid answering the same questions 697 times in the next few weeks. ;) Some fun facts to answer your FAQ's:
- This is what the helmet looks like (it's open on top)
- Babies wear helmets to correct their head shape. Patrick's head has become slightly flattened on the left side because he always looks that direction while he sleeps. His case is mild to moderate, but would likely get worse if we do nothing.
- Flattened heads do not have any effect on brain development. This is more of a cosmetic issue, though it can in have more serious effects in severe cases.
- The helmet has to be worn for approximately three months, 23 hours a day.
- The helmet works by resting gently against the head where it should NOT grow, and leaving gaps where the head SHOULD grow. It has to be adjusted every few weeks. It causes about as much pressure as a baseball cap.
- For more information, visit this site (the makers of the helmet, and the scanner that is used to get his head shape to create the custom helmet).
I was pretty disappointed when the doctor recommended the helmet. I think I'm getting used to the idea, but it will be hard when we first get it. We have tried a number of things in the past few months to attempt to correct Patrick's head shape without the helmet, but have not had success. I know that Patrick won't care about the raised eyebrows the helmet causes, and I am convinced this will be best for him in the long term, so it's just my own pride to overcome. :) Maybe this will be good for me.
On a happier note, here are some updates on our little boy, since I haven't posted in ages:
- He has six teeth, four of which have come in in the last few weeks.
- He slept seven hours last night. This is huge. He hasn't really gone past four or five hours since he's been born.
- He sits up on his own.
- He's the happiest, smiley-est, most animated baby I've ever met, and he can bright up a room in a nano second.
- He and Lucy get along splendidly. Lucy just loves giving him toys, running to to tell him "hey, hey, it's okay, Patich" when he cries, and playing peek-a-boo with him
- He has continued the Ailes baby tradition of landing solidly in the 90th+ percentile on length
No comments:
Post a Comment