Saturday, April 20, 2013

Rocket Man



Well, we have the helmet. Clearly, Patrick is not hating it. :) He actually doesn't seem to notice it at all.

We picked it up on Wednesday, and I had a hard time that evening feeling sad about the helmet. I can't even tell you why. Maybe just change itself was challenging. Or seeing someone so familiar look suddenly rather unfamiliar.

Those feelings seem to be fading now, and I think we're adjusting just fine. We've even made outings with the helmet, and I'm getting more proficient at the 5-second version of the explanation for strangers.

Patrick is on a graduated schedule of wearing, and so slept in it for the first time last night. It did make me a little sad to see him sleeping in it when I went to check on him before I went to bed. Sounds silly now. After all, he was sleeping peacefully and not bothered a bit. -sigh- Who can understand emotions?

The doctor estimates three months of wearing it 23 hours a day. So I'm counting down the days till mid-July. Until then, he'll still be our precious boy, and it appears he'll still be as happy as ever. :)

Given the night sky design on the helmet (and the temptation to give him a nickname based on his new appearance), we've taken to calling him "Rocket Man" when he's wearing it. :) It sure beats "Helmet Head." ;)

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you and Jacob during this new phase of parenting. I LOVE this picture of Patrick! He's such a happy boy and his smile looks even bigger than normal ;-)

    ReplyDelete