Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Doctor's appointment

I went in yesterday for my usual doctor's appointment, accompanied this time by my mom. Since my normal midwife wasn't available, I met with a nurse practitioner, who was very nice. As with all previous appointments, everything is looking good and healthy and on track. :) Well, the NP did say (with much tact) that my weight gain was "approaching the high side of things." But I already knew that. The scale was, at least, nicer this time, and I've only gained one pound since my last appointment. So all in all, I have been making some effort to cut back. :)

While I was there, I went ahead and got vaccinated for Pertussis (Whooping Cough), since that is currently being recommended for all pregnant women in this area. I understand there is a resurgence of it around here, so Kaiser advised that I get vaccinated. The Pertussis vaccine is coupled with Tetnus and Diptheria, so now I have a sore arm. But so does my mom. Since she is a Kaiser member, they went ahead and vaccinated her as well, while she was there (their recommendation is that all care-takers of the baby get up to date on this vaccination, since the baby can't get vaccinated until they are two months old).

So, no big news, which is a good thing. The one moment that did give me pause was when the NP mentioned that 37 weeks is considered "full term," so the baby could come anytime after that and be perfectly healthy. Since I'm at 34 and a half weeks, the realization that we really needed to get moving on the nursery hit me when she said that. I am perfectly aware that many first-babies come later than the due date, but I'd rather be prepared in case that's not our situation!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that seemed so fast. Hope you have time to finish the nursery! =)

    ReplyDelete