Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Silent Night

The glow of the Christmas tree filled our living room with warm, colored light. The almost ethereal strains of Enya singing "Silent Night" in Gaelic provided a perfect soundtrack to our little idyllic scene. We were winding down for the evening, enjoying quiet Christmas music and each other's company, surrounded on all sides by Christmas decorations. Jacob, Lucy and I were having a lovely family "moment." So picture-perfect.

Well, actually, Lucy wasn't so much in the spirit of things. Instead of nursing contentedly and peacefully drifting off to sleep, she was spending her time simultaneously attempting to eat and express to us that her tummy hurt via her unique language of wriggles, squirms and grunts.

Sometimes reality seems a far cry from the idealized notions we have about life.

I started listening to Christmas music shortly after Lucy was born (for those who know me, you realize this is very late in the year for me!). I first broke out my Christmas playlist during the middle-of-the-night feedings when I was struggling with the baby blues. This was certainly a period of adjusting expectations about life with a newborn! Since then, I often find "Silent Night" playing itself in my head. When one is up at 2 in the morning with a crying baby, the night does not seem so silent, or peaceful. What must it have been like for Mary, a teenage girl, to be recovering from giving birth in a stable, having to get up and feed and change her baby every couple of hours? "Sleep in heavenly peace" would seem more likely to be a prayer than a description of reality.

But then, sometimes reality is so much better than any picturesque, pastoral scene we can contrive! Move on to the third verse of the song... "Son of God.... Jesus, Lord at Thy birth." What an incongruity! That the Creator of all things made Himself into a baby! I think of Lucy's limited ability to communicate just her basic needs, totally dependent on others... and this was also true of Christ! I so often find myself looking at Lucy, amazed that God chose this form. I am overwhelmed by the thought of how much He must love us and desire reconciliation with us. What a wonderful Lord we have!

Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
Holy Infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace
Sleep in heavenly peace

Silent night, holy night!
Shepherds quake at the sight
Glories stream from heaven afar
Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia!
Christ, the Savior is born
Christ, the Savior is born

Silent night, holy night
Son of God, love's pure light
Radiant beams from Thy holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth

No comments:

Post a Comment