I am, almost daily, astonished at how much I learn from other people about loving my own daughter. I have a deep love for Lucy of my own, but that love is surprisingly influenced by the ways in which I see others interact with her.
I see Jacob treasure Lucy, savoring the times when he gets to hold her and play with her, especially when he comes home from work and has been away from her all day. Watching Jacob hold Lucy makes me want to truly enjoy the time I have each day with her, and not take it for granted.
I see my mom delighted by Lucy. She is enchanted by each tiny new development, and so genuinely full of enthusiasm and wonder as she interacts with her granddaughter. What a beautiful way for my mom to continue to be a model for me as I learn to not just love, but to relish and enjoy time with my daughter.
I see my dad caring deeply about Lucy's future and spiritual walk. He counts it an honor and privilege to get to pray with Lucy before putting her to bed, and often walks away from kissing Lucy goodnight with suspiciously watery eyes. What a wonderful reminder to stay focused on the important things in life!
I see Jacob's mom patiently teaching Lucy new things, from learning to stand herself up to learning how to play with her stacking rings toy. :) It is good for me to bear in mind that learning is a slow process, day by day, and I am grateful for Grandma's gentle instruction to Lucy.
I see Aunt Amanda embracing Lucy with unreserved openness and acceptance. Amanda loves Lucy just the way she is, and finds such genuine joy in being in Lucy's company. As I watch Lucy grow and develop, and anticipate the coming stages in her little life, I hope I also communicate that open acceptance at the same time.
I see Jacob's siblings filled with anticipation of watching Lucy discover the world around her, from their excitement about teaching Lucy about a family tradition, to promises of visiting the Aquarium when she's older. I am reminded to see the world through Lucy's eyes with all the excitement of a big, wide world to explore for the first time.
These are just a few examples of the many lessons in love I have received from my family and friends. I am constantly amazed at how much all the grandparents, aunts and uncles love our little Lucy. What a blessing to have these people in my life, and in Lucy's life!

beautiful post Sarah! <3
ReplyDelete