Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Precious Moments

My dearest little Lucy,

Last night, I was up late reading. Daddy was already asleep, and before turning out the light and going to sleep myself, I wanted to say goodnight to you one more time. You were so precious sleeping in your crib, I couldn't help but pick you up and cuddle you. You probably don't remember any of this, because your little eyelids only just fluttered before you nestled into my arms and relaxed. How could I put you back down? So we sat in the rocking chair for a while, just me and you. The whole house was quiet, and all I could hear was the sound of the clock on the wall and and the quiet swishing of your fan. The room was mostly dark, but I had turned on your stars for you in case you woke up so you wouldn't be scared, and I could just barely see your face by the faint glow. I loved the feeling of your head in the crook of my arm, feeling you snuggled up against me, and every so often, feeling little Patrick push against my tummy where you were resting. I can't explain why, but I just sat there crying. You are so loved and so treasured... I was overwhelmed. As I sat holding you, I prayed for you, and tried not to wake you with my sniffling. It will be many years before you understand the depth of love that Daddy and I have for you. If you are very blessed, you will one day hold a sleeping child in your arms and be overcome with how very much they are a part of your heart. But for now, know that these are my feelings toward you, and you don't have to rush to grow up at all. One day you won't fit in my lap, and I won't be able to fold my hand all the way around yours. We will have new wonderful memories to make as you get older, but I will forever hold dear the moments when I get to wrap you up in my arms while you're still so small. I love you, my sweet girl, and always will.

-Love,
Mommy

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful Sarah. I can't wait to hold my little girl like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful Sarah! I definitely teared up reading it. ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet. I love that James will still fall asleep on my tummy. I am also tempted to pick him up when he is sleeping now that he has much more consistent sleeping habits.

    ReplyDelete