Friday, June 22, 2012

Stinky, Fun, Messy, Wonderful

On Monday, I was catching up on some reading from one of my favorite blogs (Pioneer Woman... do not read the cooking section if you're hungry! Or if you object to inordinate amounts of butter and heavy whipping cream). The author, Ree (aka: Pioneer Woman) was answering a series of reader questions in a "Dear Abby" style. This particular one caught my attention...
PW,
I have two boys, ages 2 and 4. They are typical boys who like to climb, argue, fight, get dirty and eat a lot of food. How on earth do you keep up with all the energy, patience testing, boundary testing, and other antics of boys? I find myself exhausted each and every day. Most days I go to bed feeling like the worst mother in the world. Is it normal to feel like this?
Amanda

Dear Amanda,
Lamenting the climbing, fighting, and filthiness of boys is like lamenting the wetness of rain. Boys are completely wacko. Don’t be discouraged if your 2 and 4-year-olds are running you ragged. That just means they’re normal male creatures.
Love,
Pioneer Woman
My favorite kitchen utensils are at the bottom of my pond
My boys hang from the rafters and shriek like monkeys
They also walk over furniture to cross the room rather than go around it
Oh, and they take apart vehicles and I don’t realize this until I want to drive the vehicle somewhere
Their heads smell like a swamp
But I love them so much it hurts.
Boys stink and are wonderful,
Pioneer Woman
The list at the end made me smile... and then I caught myself. I'M having a boy! What if he get a hold of MY favorite kitchen utensils?!

Then on Tuesday, a friend posted this picture on my facebook page...


I'm sensing a theme here.

Whenever strangers ask if I know what I've having (and I say, yes, a boy!), they always say, "Oh, boys are so much fun!" with a completely straight face. Hmmmmmmm. Sometimes I wonder what exactly comes wrapped up in the word "fun." 

P.s. Here's another fun post about her boys from Pioneer Woman if you're in the mood...

2 comments:

  1. Fun:
    Physical antics
    Generally a lot less drama
    Sound effects

    I could go on and on. We'll talk.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One mom in my Fresno church swears boys are easier and more fun. She loved babysitting boys and hated babysitting girls when she was a teenager. And God gave her and her husband three boys, currently around ages 11, 7 and 4. She thanks God everyday she was given boys and not girls.

    I think it just works for some people. You'll do great with Patrick.

    ReplyDelete