Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Transitions


Lucy at 1 month old in her crib
I got all teary-eyed putting Lucy down for her nap today. If all goes as planned, this will probably be her last "night-night" in the crib... we're breaking out the toddler bed tonight. I don't know why this transition seems so significant to me, but it sure is. My computer screen is become blurry as I type... I didn't feel anywhere near this level of sadness when Lucy stopped nursing or when putting away her clothes that she'd grown out of. There must be hormones involved.

Why transition to the toddler bed now, you ask?

The window of between now and Patrick's arrival has suddenly become very narrow. (When did that happen?) We're about five weeks out from my due date, and (I think) I've finally found that motivation to make good on the many preparations we need to make before he comes. One of the most significant of these plans is to potty train Lucy. And, I would really hate for Lucy to wake up from a nap with no diaper and be unable to access the potty. ;)

Lucy in crib today at naptime
 Also, you know, Patrick needs a bed. 

(Train of thought... anyone out there have a bassinet we could borrow for 3 or 4 weeks after Patrick is born?)

So tonight's plans include dismantling the crib (at least enough to fit it through the doorways) and moving it to Patrick's room, and building the toddler bed for Lucy. I have no clue what to expect. She's always been so good about going to bed... but will she stay there once she can get up? Will she get up in the middle of the night while we're sleeping and get into trouble? So many things to worry about...

Toddler bed waiting to be built
Speaking of potty training, I'm gearing up for the big "training day," probably happening sometime next week, or after Lucy gets accustomed to her new bed. We're going to try a program called "Toilet Training in Less than a Day." Yes, folks, less than a day. Apparently, the average child Lucy's age takes 4-6 hours, and it's DONE. Of course, you do nothing except talk about potty for those 6 hours, but hey... it's worth it if you don't have to spend months potty training. My mom raves about this training approach (it's been around that long... she used it with my sister and me successfully), so I at least know one person that it has worked for. Anyone else tried this approach? I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have.


So, there will be much to report on in the next few weeks, as we transition Lucy through some big girl steps in her little life, and as we get the new nursery set up for Patrick's arrival. I'll keep you posted (pun intended). :)


------------------------------------------------

For those interested in learning more about the potty training approach, you can purchase the book "Toilet Training in Less than a Day" on Amazon for $8, or I'd be happy to let you borrow it when we're through (although I'll want it back to use in the future with Patrick if it works!).

Essentially, you spend the first hour or so having your child teach a doll all the steps of using the potty, and then you move on to having your child try it. And you throw nutrition out the window for the day and feed them lots of salty snacks and liquids... for obvious reasons. And you start by rewarding them for successfully completing each tiny step in the process, and by the end of the day, you're only handing out rewards (like M&M's or other candies) for having dry pants.


7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I wasn't sure if you still had yours or not. I think we'd be interested in borrowing it again if you're okay with that!

      Delete
  2. Also, a word of advice--if potty training doesn't work for Lucy right away, breathe and let it go for awhile. Go with your gut and don't push her. With some kids, this approach works fine. With others it really doesn't. Some kids are ready at 20 months, others aren't ready until age 4. So be kind to yourself if this doesn't turn out to be the right combo for your family, or if she regresses later (esp. when the baby is born).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It also took us a loooong time to potty train, mainly because James just wasn't ready - we tried on and off starting at about 24 months, but ended up waiting until he turned 3, and when he WAS ready, he was fully potty trained in about 3 weeks (meaning he recognized he needed to go potty, went to the potty, successfully went IN the potty, and got his underwear back up, and no "accidents.")

    Re the method you are using: my husband's parents tried that method on him, and he has some very sad memories of feeling locked in the bathroom and abandoned. So it might not work for ever kid :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, in reading the material, they actually suggest the training happen in the kitchen, not the bathroom (hard floor = easier to clean up messes)... wonder if it was the same program or a variation on the idea?

      Delete
  4. Very curious to see how this works for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all the comments made on this blog. Obviously I don't have kids but I spent months at the beginning of each school year potty training my pre schoolers. Some where ready and got it right away and some it took FOREVER!! Keep it VERY positive and don't reward often (as I'm sure your book has told you.)! That's my two cents for ya. ;)

    ReplyDelete