Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Discipline

When Lucy was just a couple weeks old, I distinctly remember a snippet of conversation I had with a mom of a 4 year old boy, in which she commented, "Oh, I love this stage! It's so nice not having to discipline. We're disciplining a lot these days."

I don't know why it has stuck with me so clearly over the past two years, but I sure find that comment coming to mind in recent weeks. We have certainly entered the "we're disciplining a lot these days" stage of life.

Nana informs Lucy that emptying her new dresser drawers is definite "no no"

Lucy is a full on toddler. I am astonished at how often we tell her no and inform her of the consequences if she disobeys, and then she looks directly at us and does the "no no" again, receives the promised discipline, and proceeds to repeat the process! Seriously? Sometimes she'll even tell US the accompanying discipline, and then go right ahead and do what she knows she isn't supposed to. -shakes head-

I think I knew kids were like this in theory, but I have to say, it's kind of astonishing to see it in person. And exhausting. I do my best to look for things to say "yes" to, and to praise each time Lucy is good. Despite this, I swear there are days when "no" and "LUCY! -sigh-" is all that comes out of my mouth.

On the up side, I think I can say we're finally seeing some progress. It seems like Lucy has been responding more quickly to our directions, especially in the past week. Yesterday was the best "obey-day" we've had in a long time (coincidentally, it was also my first day at home totally on my own the whole day... thank you, Lord!).

Lucy also seems to have started to take pleasure in showing us how well she can obey. She knows, for example, that she's not supposed to stand on the dining room chairs. Yesterday, she spent no less than 15 minutes getting up and down out of the chair, and each time excitedly telling me "KNEES!" (since she's supposed to stay on her knees).

This has led me to observation #473 about how parenting teaches us about our relationship about God... what an absolute joy it is to see your child cheerfully and willingly obeying, especially when they have been defiant and disobedient previously! While the defiant stage may not be in the past (is there such a thing?), each time Lucy obeys well is a genuinely sweet moment to this parent's heart. How God must take joy in our obedience to Him, as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment