Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Water: The wonder drug (aka, the bane of my pregnancy)

If you know me at all, or even remotely follow my facebook status updates, you know that one of the constant struggles of this pregnancy has been consuming sufficient quantities of fluids. I hate water.

Invariably, when I mention this distaste for water, I get one (or more) of the following responses...

1. "But it has no taste! You can't dislike something with no taste"
2. "But it's so good for you!"
3. "Have you tried adding flavors to it?"

In response...

1. Let me assure, it DOES have taste. For example, some water is less distasteful than others. I have the odd preference of tap water over most bottled, and absolutely despise the taste of Sparkletts.
2. I KNOW it's good for me. That's why I'm trying to drink it. However, drinking very much at one time makes me feel like I'm drowning and/or just water-logged. I do not get this feeling with other liquids. Don't ask me why. I am aware that water fixes pretty much everything, from cramping muscles to fatigue to fat-burning. This knowledge has not yet been motivation enough to actually get this wonder-drug inside me.
3. And YES, I have tried adding flavors. Having done Weight Watchers for a year and a half, this is a trick that I've used a lot in the past. It works for a time, but not for very long. Also, many of the flavor-packets have artificial sweetners, which (while I'm obviously not philosophically opposed to this as evidenced by the quantities of diet soda I drink) just seems to take away from some of the amazing healthiness of the water. Also, I don't like lemon. Ick.

So, I have been attempting to be creative in my intake of fluids. My midwife said even things like milk and juice count, so I'll drink those things. I have also learned that fruit counts, especially high-water-content fruit like grapes, strawberries, apples, etc. I happen to LOVE grapes, so I buy those whenever they are on sale.

These creative methods are not, however, working all by themselves. So my new approach is to limit myself to ONLY water at meal times. Lunch and dinner are often when I drink the most fluid, so I have committed to just water when I sit down to eat.

You, my friends and family, have permission to hold me to this commitment through the end of my pregnancy. And to ask me how many ounces of water I've had so far in a day. My goal is 80 ounces. I think I usually drink somewhere around 40 in day, when I'm trying. I'll do better if I know other people know my goals and will ask me about them.

Tally so far today? About 16 ounces.

Okay, back to addressing the mostly-full bottle of water on my desk that has been sitting here since I arrived at work this morning, taunting me.

1 comment:

  1. One trick I learned about water, which I also hate, by the way--the less other drinks I consume (pop, tea, juice)the more I am able to tolerate water. I also prefer tap water to bottled, but I like lemon. Also, I try to make myself drink 8 ounces at a time rather than sipping. When I was nursing my last child I sat a pitcher of water next to me in the living room and that way I knew how much I was drinking. It was 2 quarters, only 32 ounces, so it was much less than you are trying to drink. This is from mrs. peters in okc.

    ReplyDelete