Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Eat, sleep, poop

So, you hear all the time that all babies do is eat, sleep and poop.

I'm not going to dispute this. It's very true.

But you know there's another side of that coin, don't you? All moms do is feed, sleep, and change diapers. Doesn't have quite the same ring to it, does it? Maybe that's why you never hear about it. Well, that and... babies are cute when they eat, sleep, and even poop. Moms, on the other hand, tend to be bleary-eyed, sweat-pant-wearing cows. At least, that's what I feel like.

Seriously, I feel like a cow. And for those of you who have used a breast pump, you know how little it does to alleviate this association.

I think all I do is feed Lucy. Since Lucy is still so young and we're both learning this breastfeeding thing, it takes at least an hour to feed her each time. Since she eats 8 or 9 times a day, this is basically a full time job. Most evenings, I have a hard time even remembering the events of that day... it all blurs together into nursing, diaper changing, burping, and changing Lucy's outfits. I am astonished at the number of burp cloths we got through in a day.

I knew in advance that this is the way things would go. I'd talked to enough moms and done enough reading. But, as with the labor and delivery, the experience is far different from theoretical knowledge. I have been SO grateful for Jacob's ability and willingness to stay home with me for three weeks, and for my mom, who has come over so often just to help with laundry, dishes, picking up, cleaning bathrooms... she's been a saint. I'm also thankful for everyone who helped provide dinners for us the first week and a half we were home. What a blessing that was!

On a side note, thanks to all who expressed such care and concern, and offered good counsel, after I wrote the "Baby Blues" post. As an update, things have been looking up. Last week, I felt very sad most of the time, and had a hard time feeling happy at all. This week, I'm feeling much more "normal," and find that the blues come in short bursts for an hour or two at a time. I'm feeling much more attached to Lucy, and she seems to me to be less of a stranger, and more my daughter. I would appreciate your continued prayers as it is still an adjustment, even after 2 and a half weeks, to incorporate a new member into our family.

1 comment:

  1. wow~ your little cupcake looks so alert in this photo! what a cutie~

    train of thought on cows... for your enjoyment at 1 in the morning.. happy cow commercials: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzZeZf5suq8&feature=related

    ReplyDelete