Monday, October 11, 2010

My child snorts, and other surprises from the first two days

So, we had a baby yesterday, but you probably already knew that.

But, did you also know that babies snort? I didn't. Lucy makes the cutest (yes, I'm biased) little snorting noises! So far, I can't tell if it means "I've just lost hold of my food supply. Would you kindly bring it back?" or "If you don't put me up on a burp cloth in the next 7 nanoseconds, I'm going to have to baptize you." So many things to discover about new little daughter!

There are lots of other things I didn't know that I learned this weekend, too. For instance...
  • You must relax during contractions. Relaxing makes the contraction hurt more. On occasion, when your birth support team tells you to relax during a contraction, you will feel the urge to slug them.
  • There's a lot of pain and discomfort AFTER labor. I knew labor would be hard, but no one ever talks about the fact that little things like, say, walking, become extremely difficult after pushing a baby out. 
  • The sorest muscles post labor (not the sorest area, grant you) are my arms, not my ab muscles! I must have the weeniest arms ever. 
  • Midwives can be male. And they are still called midwives.
  • It's not worth it to bring activities to the hospital if you're the one having the baby. Really, who picks up a book and reads it in the 3 minute intervals between contractions? On the other hand, an activity bag for those in the waiting room is probably a good investment. :)
  • The tape used to hold the IV in place leaves residue that requires goo-gone to take it off. Removal of said tape is painful. 
  • The "bag of waters" can have multiple layers, and it is is possible to just break one layer, resulting in stalled contractions at 7 centimeters. Bah.
  • Day shift staff is nicer than the night shift. But I'd be cranky, too, if I had to work all night. ;)
  • The adrenaline from having a baby can carry a mother through three days on only 2 hours of sleep, without said mother feeling tired. This is not true of the father. ;)
  • Swaddling and diapering a baby with flailing limbs is slightly more challenging than the doll they make you practice on in class.
  • A nurse will, on average, spend more time staring at the computer clicking through endless drop-down boxes when in your room than actually paying any attention to you. This is true even if you a) are "vocalizing through contractions" in such a way that you can be heard in the next ward, or b) have the world's cutest baby. 
What a crazy, amazing, awesome, exhausting, exciting, life-changing weekend this was!

4 comments:

  1. She is beautiful. The whole birth experience is amazing. You are now looking into the eyes of a human being who was, less than 48 hours ago, inside your body. Enjoy the awe and wonder of each crease in her skin, the softness of her hair, those tiny fingernails, and eyelashes and ears and toes. You are looking at an amazing creation from God placed in your arms. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post! These days are days you will not soon forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy is precious and so are you my dear friend! Loved this post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. informative and entertaining... made me lol. ah, I miss your stories. lucy is sooooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete