Sunday, October 10, 2010

What's in a name?

As Jacob and I have talked about names for our daughter, the most important factor in the decision as been to choose a name with meaning. Since this is the case, we thought we'd share a little with you, our friends and family, about what the significance of Lucy Amanda is to us, and how it is essentially a prayer for daughter's life.


 

Lucy was born at 1:37 pm. She measured 20.25 inches, and weighed 8 lbs, 1.6 oz. One BEAUTIFUL baby girl!

The name "Lucy" comes from the character Lucy Pevensie in C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. These books have been formative in my own Christian walk, and have been something I have enjoyed listening through on audio book with Jacob. Lucy's character in these books is, while not perfect, one worthy of being modeled. She consistently displays courage, humility, a desire to seek Aslan (the Christ-figure), childlike faith, love of family, and a resolution to do the right thing. She is also one of the most caring and empathetic of the main characters in the series.

Lucy sitting at the feet of Aslan

Additionally, the name “Lucy” is derived from the Latin for “Light.” It is our prayer that, through the character traits above, our daughter will be a light to others as she shows God’s love to the people in He places in her life.



A light to others in a dark world
The name "Amanda" is a family name for both of us. Most of you know that this is my only sister's name, and she and I have been very close since we were children. "Amanda" is also the middle name of Jacob's sister, Joelle, and I have very much appreciated the relationship that has developed more recently with her. Jacob's paternal grandmother, who recently passed away, also had the middle name "Amanda." When Jacob was young, one of the memories he has of his grandmother is of her sitting at her piano singing hymns. All three of these women have a heritage to pass along to our daughter. We hope that she follows in the footsteps of Jacob's grandmother in her love of praising the Lord, that she models Joelle's thirst for good theology and heart to see others come to Christ, and that she inherits Amanda's loving care for other people and hunger for God's word.

Following those who have
gone before
Also, the name “Amanda” is a Latin word which means “Worthy of being loved.” While Lucy’s first name is a prayer for how she will serve and love others, her middle name reflects our desire that she will be confident and assured of both God’s love and her family’s love for her.

Beloved one
 Welcome to the world, Lucy Amanda Ailes. :) May you be inspired by the rich heritage of your family that has come before you, and learn to emulate those in your life who lead godly and Christ-centered lives.

20 comments:

  1. Amazing and precious! Welcome, Little Lucy. We're excited to have you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats!!! =)~Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! What a beautiful name! Congratulations to your whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the deep love you have poured into her name! Fell better soon! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So...is she 8 lbs 6 oz.? Or 9 lbs 6oz? Or...8.16? Little confused :)Inquiring minds want to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful heritage you are passing on in a name. May she bring God glory and wonderful life to you both.
    Ron & Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the name! It's perfect. So glad she is here and healthy and you have all the labor and delivery part behind you. Hope you can get some rest during the next 24 hours. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This gave me the chills. I love it. Can't wait to meet here. I will be praying for you as you travel through the next couple weeks of adjusting to this new life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful name! congratulations Sarah and Jacob!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to Sarah and Jacob!! Well done...Judy and I have been faithfully following along since 8 this morning! Can't wait to see her!
    Dan and Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful name, wonderful heritage, bountiful blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah and Jacob, This is Aunt Sandy. I am so thrilled for you both. Mom and I are here with Jen and Adam and have been glued to your blog for updates. I am so thankful you and Lucy are doing well and she finally decided to come. Give her a giant hug and kiss for us and we'll see you guys soon so we can meet her and hug her ourselves. Love to all 3 of you and congrats to your parents as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Brithday Lucy!!!! I can't wait to meet her and see what wonderful parents you guys will be!!! much love from Sarah k. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post. I absolutely adore her name, and could not be more happy for you and Jacob. I'm praying for rest for you all, and that your body heals quickly. Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing! It sounds like everyone is safe and healthy! We will continue to pray for you guys and all that is to come. Happy birthday Lucy and congratulations Ailes Family :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucy is indeed so beautiful and precious. I am so happy - proud - full of love for all 3 of you. As I was falling asleep last night, so full of the joy and emotional exhaustion of the day I suddenly had the thought ... "Sarah is going to have to change the name of her blog!"

    Love Mom (/Grandma Ailes)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sarah and Jacob,
    HORRAY! can't wait to meet your little princess!! Hope you are both doing well and getting at least a few minutes of sleep a night ;)
    love,
    Sarah (and Matt)

    ReplyDelete
  18. SARAH!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy little Lucy is here and that you can now rest, recover, and enjoy the re-defining of your family unit. :-)
    I very much look forward to seeing you and Lucy soon!
    Lots of love,
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love you, Sarah and Jacob. And I love little Lucy (who will forever be Miss Bean to some degree). I'm so proud of you, and can't wait to get to know my beautiful, beautiful niece.

    Chris says a very fond hello to "Lucy Bean". He can't wait to see her again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lucy Amanda. Perfect!!

    sorry for the delayed response... I was out of town for a couple weeks and not on the internet at all.

    ReplyDelete