Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ready to be finished!

I'm finally getting tired of living in chaos.

Okay, maybe chaos is kind of a strong word. I am ready, however, to have our living room back, and get going on the nursery. Most of the construction stuff is long-finished. All we have left is the painting... which didn't sound like much when we first started. Turns out, painting is kind of a pain.

This weekend was an especially long one for us. I think the combination of the heat and the constant reminder of the unfinished living room hanging over us worked in tandem against us. Also, there might have been some pregnancy-hormones affecting my outlook. ;)

Items left on the to-do list:
  1. Sand and paint small wall area that peeled after painting it two weeks ago
  2. Put a second coat of paint on the top of the mantel
  3. Fix the "feathering" that happened under the blue masking tape around the openings to the office area
  4. Install the quarter-round molding at the back of the mantel
  5. Patch over finishing nails in quarter-round
  6. Paint over the patching on the quarter-round
  7. Drill holes for wiring in mantel
  8. Finish painting shelves
  9. Touch up red paint on bricks (which took a bit of beating with all the work being done in that area)
  10. Install TV and sound system!
Then, on to the nursery, which includes:
  1. Remove all the living room items currently being stored in there
  2. Remove futon (going to some friends of ours)
  3. PAINT (ah! painting again!) the nursery walls - I think this should count as at least three items on the list
  4. Find places for all the junk we've been storing in the nursery closets up to this point
  5. Decide furniture arrangement
  6. Assemble crib and get sheets on
  7. Remove packaging from shower gifts as needed, and assemble those that need it
  8. Find homes in the room for shower gifts
  9. Wash new baby clothes and put them away
Oh, and pack my bag for the hospital!

Hmmm, 11.5 weeks till blast off... I also had visions of doing things like pre-writing the Christmas letter, writing thank you notes for the shower, addressing baby announcement envelopes, and finally going through out digital pictures to print them and put them in albums during the month between coming home from work and the due date...

Maybe the first sentence should read something more like: The looming to-do list is finally getting to me.

Well, I suppose whatever is necessary will get done, and it won't be the end of the world if I don't get to those things that aren't vital. And, as I've mentioned in a previous post, we have been immeasurably blessed by the help of others in our living room project, especially my parents. All in all, we are blessed with things that are "good problems" to have, and I am very grateful for the relationships that keep us afloat amidst busy times and the many life transitions we are preparing for.

1 comment:

  1. I totally related to the concept of a "looming to-do list". Just one thing at a time!

    ReplyDelete